Tuesday, March 19, 2013

MY FAVORITE DUDE

                                                                       THIS MAN.
                                                                         That is all.



I honestly couldn't tell you what his name is, or why he made this website, but every single word I could imagine (well, most of them) HE KNOWS IN ASL. It's perfect. 

So, lately, I've been kind of taking a detour from my original plan, and started to attempt to sign as I speak. This has been going well, but you really don't understand the amount of WORDS in a language until you start attempting to speak with your body. For example, I hopped in the car the other day with my mom after lacrosse practice, and started to sign as I talked. I got to my fourth or fifth sentence when I realized that I was talking, but my hands weren't moving. It's SO DIFFICULT to do both! I talk way too fast, which is something I have to work on anyway, but using your hands as well? HARDER THAN YOU THINK. 
BUT

This does help me. By doing this, I can realize the words that I say very often. If I don't know a word (for example, in the car I said "true" about 16 times (yes, I counted), and I didn't know the sign for it, but NOW I DO! Thanks to the guy above! No not, G-d, I mean the one up there in the blue button down and the belt.) 

THINGS I PONDERED
  • What happens if your hands are frozen or really cold? (I thought about this after a 20 degree lacrosse practice when I could barely move my fingers)
  • At what age do kids start to learn words instead of fingerspelling? 
  • Is there a sign for everything? (Actually I kind of figured this out already, there is NOT a sign for every word, which becomes really annoying) 
  • There is no sign for the word annoying
  • How do you speak sign language if your holding something?
  • How much does lip reading play into it? 
  • What percent of the deaf can read lips and mouth words as they sign?
I've also been coming to realize that deafness isn't necessarily a disability. Of course, it is in a sense, but in other ways, it can actually be a learning experience. Communication is a huge part of life, and knowing how to do it with your body is an amazing skill. I don't think anyone can truly appreciate it until they have tried it out for themselves. 


2 comments:

  1. Lyss! I'm impressed at your improvements from where you originally started! I also applaud your valiant effort at including ASL in your daily language.

    On a deeper level, has this experience gave you more appreciation for life? It's hard to communicate without our vocal chords, since that's the way that we grew up with. By attempting to learn the way that the deaf communicate, has it given you a new perspective?

    Splendid job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours was the first blog I commented on, so I'm glad to come back and see your success and comfort level with signing. I think your questions are really interesting, because they show the difficulties and complications of communicating with a nonverbal language. We don't get the audio cue, and we need to be free to move and watch. Deafness definitely IS a disability, but communication can still be achieved.

    ReplyDelete